Innovations in Science
MDA is committed to transforming the lives of people affected by muscular dystrophy, ALS and related neuromuscular diseases. We do this through innovations in science and innovations in care. As the largest source of funding for neuromuscular disease research outside of the federal government, MDA has committed more than $1 billion since our inception to accelerate the discovery of therapies and cures. Research we have supported is directly linked to life-changing therapies across multiple neuromuscular diseases. In addition to the work MDA does to provide the best clinical care and support to families living with neuromuscular disease, funding the most promising and innovative research is a top priority.
MDA's Scientific Program
As the leader in neuromuscular disease research, MDA is more committed than ever to finding treatments and cures. Our scientific program seeks to:
- Support research at pivotal stages in development — from research into disease etiology and pathogenesis through to clinical trials.
- Concentrate research funding on projects which focus on therapy development or tackle key barriers to therapy development.
- Foster talented new investigators.
- Encourage companies to engage in neuromuscular disease research and drug development.
- Use an intentional and proactive approach to funding research.
- Leverage MDA’s MOVR Data Hub to accelerate drug development, increase our understanding of neuromuscular diseases, and advance care.
- Facilitate collaboration among researchers, and support professional and educational opportunities.
MDA provides support for research throughout the pipeline of drug development from discovery research through clinical trials. Funding opportunities exist for both academic investigators as well as for biotech and pharma seeking to develop therapies for neuromuscular disease. Learn about all our grant programs and find deadlines and instructions on how to apply.
Meet Our Current Researchers
MDA is the nation’s largest nonprofit supporter of neuromuscular research encompassing over 40 different neuromuscular diseases for more than 65 years. With more than $1 billion invested in research since MDA’s inception in 1950, we have contributed to many major advances in muscle biology and therapy development over the decades.
Visit Grants at a Glance to view profiles of our recently-funded researchers and read more about their projects.
To receive updates and alerts about grant opportunities and deadlines, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our mailing list.
- Grants at a Glance
- Research Grants
- Creating a New Therapy
- What We've Achieved
- MDA Venture Philanthropy
- MDA Annual Conference
- 2019 Clinical & Scientific Conference
- 2018 Clinical Conference
- MOVR Data Hub
- Newborn Screening for Neuromuscular Diseases
- Cost of Illness of Neuromuscular Diseases in the US
- Medical Education and Resources
- Contact Our Research Team