Help Through Services and Support
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) and You
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) offers reasonably priced health care coverage to millions of Americans who are uninsured. Apply now!
Each state has a Health Insurance Marketplace where you can compare health insurance options to meet your needs, and obtain important information before formally applying and enrolling in a health insurance plan.
What you need to know:
- Open enrollment began November 15, 2015 and closes on January 31, 2016.
- The ACA eliminates discrimination based on pre-existing conditions, and ends annual and lifetime caps on coverage.
- All plans must cover essential medical services (e.g., preventive care, hospital stays, prescriptions, laboratory services, etc.).
- Tax credits will help to immediately reduce premium costs based on your income; eligibility for credit is determined when you apply.
- Insured individuals can explore options for less expensive coverage.
- Health care coverage begins as early as January 1, 2016. If you don’t enroll in a 2016 health insurance plan by January 31, 2016, you can’t enroll in a health insurance plan for 2016 unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
- To apply, create an account on healthcare.gov or phone the 24/7 toll-free National Marketplace call center at (800) 318-2596 (TTY: 855-889-4325).
To learn more about what the Affordable Care Act means for individuals with disabilities, visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. And, be sure to visit the National Organization for Rare Disorders' State-by-State Insurance Information website for a listing of insurance resources by state. Through this portal, users can locate their state's insurance marketplace, as well as other resources that will answer questions about how the Affordable Care Act affects each state and existing health insurance plans.
For more information about the ACA and for guidance on finding an insurance plan that's right for you, visit the Health Insurance Marketplace today.
- Your MDA Care Center
- Young Adult Programs
- Find Support
- Neuromuscular Disease Registry
- Quest Magazine
- The Affordable Care Act