Innovations in Care
A few of our favorite offerings, jobs and resources you won't want to miss!
- Jobs at MDA: If you're seeking to start or advance your career with a purpose, MDA is an employer that will enable you to #LiveUnlimited. We're committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting people with disabilities and veterans. Search for jobs near you.
- Jobs at Microsoft: Microsoft’s Mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. We believe that people with disabilities have incredible strengths that we need to help us build the best products and services for everyone. Visit Microsoft Inclusive Hiring and see what it’s like to work for Microsoft!
- Respectability Fellowships: The National Leadership Program is ideal for people who want to gain media, policy, communications and development skills and contacts while making a positive difference for people with disabilities. We are looking for creative, results-driven individuals who want to achieve breakthrough results while getting hands-on experience. The fellowship is for college and graduate students, as well as for people transitioning into the workforce for the first time or back into the workforce after a break. Apply today!
- AAPD Career Center: Looking for a job? Check out AAPD’s new Career Center – a tool for job-seekers with disabilities to search for employment opportunities as well as a place for employers to post jobs and connect with potential employees with disabilities.
- Avacare Medical Scholarship: $1,000 scholarship awarded to an individual with a physical disability who is pursuing a degree in the medical field. Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, a high school senior or enrolled in an accredited U.S. college or university, pursuing a degree in the medical field such as therapy, nursing, medicine, nutrition, laboratory science, dentistry, etc. Must submit either a 800 word essay, a video up to 1.5min or an image along with a short description of the act of kindness that inspired you! To find out more specific information please follow this link. Deadline is December 15, 2018 by midnight EST.
- DownTo5: Offering an annual $500 scholarship to any student in undergrad or graduate school. DownTo5 is a company who are dedicated to finding the best products and advice by narrowing choices and/or steps down to five. You will be required to write a 800-1000 word essay on your most memorable life experiences and how they have influenced you. To find out more please follow this link. Deadline is April 30th of each year.
- Top10bestbudget.com: offering a $1,000 scholarship to students who are enrolled or pursing any course in college, university, or trade school. You will need to write a 600-1000 word article on “How to use Facebook as a marketing tool”. The article is due December 31, 2018. Learn more here.
- SortOutMy.Life: offers a $500 scholarship every 4 months to students who demonstrate how being organized and planning has positively affected their life success. Student must be graduating high school, current undergraduate or graduate student at a 2-year 4-year, vocational or technical institution in the US. Must be a US Citizen or permanent legal resident. An application is required to be filled out with 500 words max. Learn more here.
- OpenWater: offering a $1,500 scholarship to a student who pursing the study of computer science, engineering or business administration. Students must be a US permanent resident who is enrolled or plans to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study toward a Bachelor’s degree also must have a minimum of 3.3 GPA and a minimum 24 ACT or minimum SAT score of 1680. Will require an essay on “How do you envision your field of study fitting into the future?”. Application due December 31, 2018. Learn more here.
- Sleep Titan Scholarship Program: Offering a $1000 scholarship to students who are either currently attending or who are planning to attend a college or university during the 2018-2019 year(s). Students must be in good standings with their institution academically. For more information regarding application process please follow this link. Deadline is December, 31 2018.
- Spine Mattress Guide Research and Writing Scholarship: Offering a $1000 scholarship to students who are creative. This is available to High school, college & university students, Minimum GPA: 2.50, citizen of the US, junior, senior or graduate student, all subjects can apply. For more information please follow this link. Deadline December 15, 2018.
- 18 Different Scholarships for Individuals with Disabilities: Please visit this site for 18 different scholarships for those with disabilities. Scholarships range on type and value. Closing dates start as early as October 15, 2017 and go until August 31, 2018.
- U.S. Department of State’s Gilman International Scholarship Program: The U.S. Department of State's Gilman International Scholarship Program broadens the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might not otherwise participate due to financial constraints. It is an inclusive program that encourages participation of students who have been historically underrepresented in education abroad, including students with disabilities. The Gilman Program provides awards of up to $5,000 for study or intern abroad for summer, semester, or academic year programs. Applications for Summer and fall 2018/ Academic Year 2018-2019 is currently open and all eligible students are encouraged to apply! Apply today!
- BMO Capital Education Scholars: If you are a current undergraduate, graduate, or full-time continuing studies student who is attending a four-year university in the U.S. or Canada, has an interest in a career in Financial Services (focus on Capital Markets preferred), and happens to have a disability, we strongly encourage you to apply! Full eligibility requirements and how to apply here.
- 23 Scholarships for Individuals with Disabilities: Please visit StudentLoanClues for 23 different scholarships for those with disabilities. Scholarships range on type and value. Closing dates start as early as April 15, 2018 and go until December 31, 2019.
- Mobility Equipment Webinar by MDA: Finding the right mobility equipment can be stressful. Wheelchairs, scooters and mobility equipment aren’t one size fits all. Finding the right mobility equipment to meet the needs of an individual living with neuromuscular disease takes time and research. This webinar provides tips on how to get started ahead of time to determine the best option for you or a loved one. View it here.
Conferences, Trainings and Networking
- 2018 Speak Foundation Conference: The Speak Foundation is a non-profit organization that seeks to connect the lives of those living with neuromuscular disorders. They have experienced first-hand just how refreshing and comforting it is to feel like you are finally surrounded by others who just “get it!” The annual conference is open to individuals of all ages and families who are affected by a neuromuscular condition. They welcome families, caregivers, and those who may be living with different disabilities to attend as well. Each year, they provide a context for relationship building. They work hard each year to plan a conference that strikes just the right balance of providing sessions that cover topics that matter most to the NMD community and also providing free time for attendees and their families to relax, enjoy outings, and connect with each other.
- MDA Care Centers
- MDA Resource Center
- MDA Summer Camp
- Medical Education for Health Care Providers