Innovations in Care
As neuromuscular diseases progress, MDA Care Center team members are prepared to recommend and prescribe various types of medical equipment that can increase independence and quality of life. When such equipment is needed, MDA offers assistance in locating prescribed items through referrals to community resources. MDA’s Resource Specialists will be happy to refer you to other equipment loan resources as they are available and can be reached by phone at 1-833-ASK-MDA1 (1-833-275-6321) and by email at ResourceCenter@mdausa.org.
Potential Equipment Resources
- ChairDex: This independent website offers information about types of wheelchairs, maintenance and resources for people who use wheelchairs.
- Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA): Focused on technology and disability, RESNA promotes research and development of assistive technology, education, advocacy and the provision of assistive technology devices for people with disabilities.
- State Assistive Technology Centers: State Assistive Technology Centers work to increase independence for people with disabilities through assistive technology solutions. Services available typically vary by state, and may include equipment exchange programs, low-interest loan opportunities, information about funding resources, training and technical assistance, and more.
- State Directory of Vocational Rehabilitation Offices: Site provides a list of vocational rehabilitation providers (and includes a list of state protection and advocacy offices). Vocational rehabilitation programs focus on helping people with disabilities becoming economically independent through meaningful and gainful employment. This is done through a wide range of services that vary from state to state. In many states,assistance with durable medical equipment is available.
- International Society of Wheelchair Professionals (ISWP): Created by the RERC on Wheeled Mobility at the University of Pittsburgh, this site contains tons of information on purchasing and using a wheelchair.
- NMEDA: NMEDA provides adaptive transportation solutions for you, your family or caregivers. Through the use of mobility equipment, NMEDA Dealer Members provide independence and the ability to get behind the wheel. With equipment installed by a dealer who participates in NMEDA’s Quality Assurance Program (QAP™), a wheelchair accessible or modified van, truck or car can provide the assurance you need to feel confident and secure on the road once more.
- MDA Care Centers
- MDA Resource Center
- MDA Summer Camp
- Community Education
- MDA Engage Events
- Young Adults