Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
Special Programs for DMD Research
Good science doesn't occur in isolation. The MDA DMD Clinical Research Network, consisting of five MDA-supported centers specializing in DMD research, is focusing on clinical trials in DMD, particularly research on heart problems and disease progression.
The network was established in August 2008, and by late 2010 had several clinical studies under way, such as a comparative study of treatments for heart disease in DMD and studies to establish accurate criteria for measuring DMD progression in children under 3 and in people with DMD who are no longer walking.
MDA clinics in the DMD network are located at the following sites (as of January 2013):
- University of California, Davis (UC Davis);
- Nemours Children's Hospital in Orlando, Fla.;
- Washington University in St. Louis;
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio; and
- Children's Medical Center in Dallas.