MDA Advocacy Institute: Legislative Efforts on Disability Employment Hosted by MDA’s Paul Melmeyer on July 26th, 2021, at 4pm ET
Host/Moderator: Paul Melmeyer, VP, MDA Public Policy & Advocacy
Panelists: Experts from the office of Senator Bob Casey and the National Disability Rights Network, including Cheryl Bates-Harris, Senior Disability Advocacy Specialist for the Training and Advocacy Support Center (TASC) of NDRN, and Cyrus Huncharek, Senior Public Policy Analyst at NDRN.
As part of Disability Independence Day, the 31st anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) invites you to join a special conversation about legislation to help people living with a disability enter and stay in the workforce, featuring experts from Capitol Hill and the National Disability Rights Network.
- The barriers people living with a disability face while seeking and maintaining employment
- Proposed legislation ensuring people living with a disability have a fair opportunity for employment
- Actions people can take to ensure elected officials hear their voices
- Q&A with panelists and attendees
Monday, July 26 at 4pm ET
The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) works year-round advocating for people with muscular dystrophy, ALS, and related neuromuscular diseases. We continue to raise awareness and educate our community Advocacy Institute events, especially on this poignant date -- July 26 -- Disability Independence Day, the 31st anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Many members of the neuromuscular disease community face challenges when seeking and maintaining employment, and it is important Congress passes laws to ensure people living with a disability gain fair access to earn a living. As a convener, MDA produces educational advocacy programming for people in the neuromuscular disease community to provide information about proposed laws and how they can make their voice heard through advocacy.
Follow @MDA_Advocacy for daily updates on Twitter
About the Muscular Dystrophy Association
For 70 years, the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) has been committed to transforming the lives of people living with muscular dystrophy, ALS, and related neuromuscular diseases. We do this through innovations in science and innovations in care. As the largest source of funding for neuromuscular disease research outside of the federal government, MDA has committed more than $1 billion since our inception to accelerate the discovery of therapies and cures. Research we have supported is directly linked to life-changing therapies across multiple neuromuscular diseases. MDA's MOVR is the first and only data hub that aggregates clinical, genetic, and patient-reported data for multiple neuromuscular diseases to improve health outcomes and accelerate drug development. MDA supports the largest network of multidisciplinary clinics providing best-in-class care at more than 150 of the nation's top medical institutions. Our Resource Center serves the community with one-on-one specialized support, and we offer educational conferences, events, and materials for families and healthcare providers. MDA Advocacy supports equal access for our community, and each year thousands of children and young adults learn vital life skills and gain independence at summer camp and through recreational programs, at no cost to families. During the COVID-19 pandemic, MDA continues to produce virtual events and programming to support our community when in-person events and activities are not possible. MDA’s COVID-19 guidelines and virtual events are posted at mda.org/COVID19. For more information, visit mda.org.
All Disease News
- Muscular Dystrophy Association to Support Telehealth Awareness Week 2021 as an Endorsing PartnerSeptember 15, 2021
- American Telemedicine Association Announces Official Partners of First-Ever Telehealth Awareness Week 2021September 15, 2021
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Kicks Off National Muscular Dystrophy Awareness Month Announcing Access Survey Data, Community Education, and EventsAugust 28, 2021
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces Its Inaugural MDA Takes Vegas Stream-a-thon Labor Day WeekendAugust 25, 2021
- Help Wanted- A Quest ArticleAugust 20, 2021