MDA Advocacy Institute: Employment Rights for People Living with a Disability Featuring Neal McNamara, Partner, Nixon Peabody & Hillary Baca, Associate, Nixon Peabody Hosted by MDA's Mark Fisher on October 28th, 2020 at 4pm ET
New York, NY – October 14, 2020
As part of National Disability Employment Awareness Month, the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) invites you to join a special virtual conversation with experts from Nixon Peabody about employment rights guaranteed to people living with a disability. The discussion features Neal McNamara, Partner and Hillary Baca, Associate, at Nixon Peabody, hosted by Mark Fisher, MDA Advocacy Engagement Manager.
- History of employment nondiscrimination laws for people living with a disability
- Rights of people living with a disability when applying and interviewing for a job
- Accommodations an employer must make for people living with a disability
- Actions to take if your employer is not making an accommodation
- Actions needed on legislation for equal access in the workplace
- Q&A featuring questions submitted by the neuromuscular community
Wednesday, October 28 at 4pm ET
MDA’s Webinar Platform. Those who want to attend are required to RSVP beforehand.
Host/Moderator: MDA, Mark Fisher
Panelists: Neal McNamara, Partner, Nixon Peabody & Hillary Baca, Associate, Nixon Peabody
MDA works year-round advocating for people with muscular dystrophy, ALS and related neuromuscular diseases. We continue to raise awareness and educate our community with this event as October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month. Many members of the neuromuscular disease community face challenges when seeking and maintaining employment. It is vital those living with a disability know their rights, learn what to do if they feel their employer is not making accommodations required by law, and see how they can take action on legislation that would provide even more incentives for companies to hire and retain workers living with a disability.
About the Muscular Dystrophy Association
For 70 years, the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) has been committed to transforming the lives of people living with muscular dystrophy, ALS, and related neuromuscular diseases. We do this through innovations in science and innovations in care. As the largest source of funding for neuromuscular disease research outside of the federal government, MDA has committed more than $1 billion since our inception to accelerate the discovery of therapies and cures. Research we have supported is directly linked to life-changing therapies across multiple neuromuscular diseases. MDA's MOVR is the first and only data hub that aggregates clinical, genetic, and patient-reported data for multiple neuromuscular diseases to improve health outcomes and accelerate drug development. MDA supports the largest network of multidisciplinary clinics providing best in class care at more than 150 of the nation's top medical institutions. Our Resource Center serves the community with one-on-one specialized support, and we offer educational conferences, events, and materials for families and healthcare providers. MDA Advocacy supports equal access for our community, and each year thousands of children and young adults learn vital life skills and gain independence at summer camp and through recreational programs, at no cost to families. During the COVID-19 pandemic, MDA continues to produce virtual events and programming to support our community when in-person events and activities are not possible. MDA’s COVID-19 guidelines and virtual events are posted at mda.org/COVID19. For more information, visit mda.org.
Media contact: email@example.com
All Disease News
- The Marathon Stream for MDA Let’s Play For A Cure Airs this Saturday, October 24, Headlined by Zedd with Special Guests missharvey and moreOctober 21, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces Don Cheadle, Common, Cindy Crawford, Whitney Cummings, Stephen Curry, Zachary Levi, & Kelly Rowland To Join The MDA Kevin Hart Kids TelethonOctober 16, 2020
- MDA Advocacy Institute: Employment Rights for People Living with a Disability Featuring Neal McNamara, Partner, Nixon Peabody & Hillary Baca, Associate, Nixon Peabody Hosted by MDA's Mark Fisher on October 28th, 2020 at 4pm ETOctober 13, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association announces DJ Khaled, Daniel Levy, Leslie Mann, Gabrielle Union Wade, John David Washington & more will join the MDA Kevin Hart Kids Telethon lineupOctober 7, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces MDA Let’s Play For A Cure, A Multi-Week Streaming Event Featuring Special Guests Zedd, Voyboy, Trick2g, JonSandman, missharvey and MoreSeptember 28, 2020