While there are many challenges that come with learning you've been diagnosed with a neuromuscular disorder, understanding where to begin once the diagnosis is confirmed can be a major obstacle. For those individuals who are newly diagnosed, the following resources, listed by state, can provide a valuable connection to getting the services and resources they desperately need. This directory was created to provide those we serve with access to state-specific resources such as advocacy, education, disability, development, employment and mental health, just to name a few.
- State agencies and organizations — may include state resources such as rehabilitation services, vocational rehabilitation agency, department of education, official state website and state senators/representatives
- Organizations especially for parents — resources for Parent Training and Information Centers
- Other disability-related resources — state agencies and organizations such as independent living centers
Please be sure to report inaccurate information to ResourceCenter@mdausa.org.
Here are some other helpful resources:
- Air Travelers Hotline: Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide general information about rights of air travelers with disabilities and assist air travelers with disability-related issues.
- Department of Motor Vehicles: Contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a permit to park in designated accessible parking spots, which will help you avoid fatigue from having to traverse long distances in parking lots.
- Disability.gov: Find information on accessible transportation services for people with disabilities.
- Easter Seals Project ACTION: Project ACTION was created to promote universal access to transportation for people with disabilities under federal law and beyond by partnering with transportation providers, the disability community and others through the provision of training, technical assistance, applied research, outreach and communication.
- Transportation Security Administration: Learn about air travel security procedures for people with disabilities and medical conditions.
- MDA Care Centers
- MDA Summer Camp
- MDA Resource Center